Bath Spa University’s bucolic Newton Park campus may seem an unlikely venue for an important international conference on writing and technology, but apparently it has “the best specialist digital and studio resources for teaching in the South West [U.K.] – equal to anything found in top commercial organisations and broadcast companies.” The MIX 2017 conference sounds truly interdisciplinary, with “a vibrant mix of academic papers, practitioner presentations, seminars, keynotes, discussions and workshops. Alongside scholars and researchers, artists, creative writers and creative technologists interested in literary forms are welcome to submit proposals.” More to the point for our interests, the organizers have issued a special call for poetry films.
CALL FOR POETRY FILMS
MIX 2017: REVOLUTIONS, REGENERATIONS, REFLECTIONS
BATH SPA UNIVERSITY, NEWTON PARK CAMPUS. 10-12 JULY 2017
The themes for this year’s conference are revolutions, regenerations, reflections. We would like to encourage artists/poets and digital writers to submit poetry films/ film poems/video poetry to be screened during MIX in our Viewing Theatre at Newton Park campus. Poetry films/ film poems/ video poetry is an emerging genre that fuses the use of spoken-word poetry, visual images, and sound to create a stronger representation and interpretation of the meaning being conveyed.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR FILMS
Short films should be submitted via email using a direct link to Youtube, Vimeo or an open link to Dropbox or WeTransfer. The email subject line should read ‘Your Name; Poetry Film Submission’ and the body of the email should include a 50-word description of the film.
Maximum 2 submissions per artist, these can be sent in the same email. This email should be sent to email@example.com by Wednesday 1st March.
The films will be selected and curated by Lucy English, Reader in Creative Writing at Bath Spa University, and Zata Banks (founder of PoetryFilm research art project https://poetryfilm.org)
VIEWING THEATRE TECH SPECS
4K HD projector and 5.1 surround sound
- Poetry films/ film poems/ video poetry up to 3 minutes.
- Submitted via email using a direct link to Youtube, Vimeo or an open link to Dropbox or WeTransfer.
- Email subject: ‘Your Name; Poetry Film Submission’; and the body of the email should include a 50-word description of the film.
- No more than 2 submissions per artist, these can be sent in the same email.
- Films must relate in some way to the conference’s themes: Revolutions, Regenerations and Reflections.
- English language or with English language subtitles.
- Deadline: Wednesday 1st March 2017.
If you would like to attend the conference please click on the ‘Bookings’ tab.